Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog topic # 4: The Power of Vision

There are so many things that I would like to do after I graduate from Baruch. My top three goals (on my to-do list) are: to pursue an MBA degree, to start my own business (restaurant), and to start my own family.

I'm currently working part-time as a sales and marketing analyst, and I would very much like to continue on working at my current company as a full time analyst right after I graduate. It's funny because I've never imagined that I would become an analyst, it was never a dream of mine to become one. But things just happened, and to my surprise I really like my job and I can see myself going forward as a financial analyst (I guess I realized that being an investment banker does not suit me at all... he he...).

I also envision myself pursuing an MBA in a couple of years. I'm thinking of taking up Management/Entrepreneurship. You may wonder why I picked Management/Entrepreneurship for my MBA? It's because I am planning to start my own business (probably in 3 years, after I finish my MBA). I want to put up my own restaurant. It's always been a dream of mine to have my own restaurant. So I'm thinking, the money that I save from working as a financial analyst, I would use that to start my own business. That for sure, will definitely happen!!!

Lastly, my own personal goal is to start my own family. I would want to have kids (maximum 2) and buy a house in 3 years time. Why in three years time? Well, that's because I want to finish my masters and at least have my restaurant set up before I start having kids. That way, I'll be able to have the time to be a mom, a wife and an entrepreneur all at the same time!

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you on so many fronts. I also think that your last goal (family) is by far the most special and important one. I look at that as a huge milestone in my like and I hope to one day have a beautiful healthy family. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost - Good luck to you on all fronts. As a family man I like your idea of starting one. Its a wonderful (challenging at times) part of life, for those who choose it.
    For someone who does not exceed 145 pounds and eats more than 245 pound person, Restaurant is the idea that i love. Who does not like delicious, beautiful, tasteful creations?! Yeah, I'm talking about food! Delicious culinary is a form of art in my mind. Especially with your APPETITE for success in MBA / Entrepreneurship you should have a great personal career. With right motivation, education, and an inspiration (you said you wanted to do it for a long time) I see nothing but success. When I talk amongst friends about world matters, we often end up talking about food and how it is never enough to have good eateries. So.....looking forward to being served a delicious (your choice here) meal in a place of your own. Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent goals! good luck to you with all of them! it sounds like you have a great head on your shoulder and will go very far in life. I myself am thinking about opening a restaurant down the road...and of course a family =] happy and healthy wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see your goals are definitely more thought out than mine being that i have not time line yet for all these goals. Family seems to be as important to me as it is to you. To pursue all these goals in such a strict time line is enviable; I can read the passion you have for all these endeavors. Good luck in your future and keep that drive going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these sound like a good plan! i have always dreamed of opening a restaurant or bakery. i have always worked in the restaurant industry and i love it. i don't think there is any place that you can work where you have a family like in a restaurant. good luck!

    what kind of restaurant? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Angelica! Thank you for your comment :) I like how you have very defined goals. I am sure you conquer all of them. I wish you luck in pursuing your MBA. I am planning on doing the same in 3-4 years. Opening up your own business is a great idea. Can I have a discount at your place? I am glad you are as family-oriented as you are business-oriented. Money, Success is nothing without people you can share it with. You go girl! I am rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have similar goals. Im an accounting major but like you im pursuing this career in order to try and save money to do what i really want to do which is manage a business. Not quite sure about the specific business tho i have a couple ideas. Good luck to you tho hope all your goals are reached.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 of our goals are exactly the same, its actually always been my dream to start a restaurant also but I did not definitely decide whether or not that is going to be the business I will try to start in the future. Entrepreneurship is a nice field, I wish you luck in that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great post! You sound very goal-oriented and determined. I like your idea of starting your own restaurant. Previously I have thought about starting my own record label, among other ideas, but I haven't thought about that in a while. I'm currently a bit confused about my future career and majors, and thinking about changing my major. Many blog posts from our classmates that I have read have been very inspiring, including yours! Your post reminded me of my idea of starting my own business (which I kinda haven't thought of in a while). Maybe I should get back into those thoughts. :)

    Anyway, I like your post and the goals of getting an MBA, opening your own restaurant, and starting your own family. I feel inspired from your post too!

    Thank you and good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very inspirational that you have a plan to start your own business in the future. I respect that and think after attaining some cash from your current job and getting an MBA it's definitely a possibility. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete